Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Anything But Sushi"


I'm sitting here, quivering, in my eagerness to get started on what will be my best garden ever! (Isn't that what we all think when we begin each new garden?)

I've got great plans for what to grow and for what to eat this spring. My first attempt at arugula will be with a packet of Wasabi Arugula from Renee's Garden. Arugula is a peppery green that can be used in a salad or cooked into a stir fry. This one, from the name, will be even hotter than the usual varieties.

Most people who know wasabi think of it as a condiment for dipping sushi. It is a Chinese horseradish, many times more potent than common horseradish. Which brings me to the title of this post.

For several years when we would go to Chicago to visit our younger son, he would ask what type of restaurant we would like to go to, and he would get the answer from me, "Anything but sushi." As a dyed-in-the-wool sushi lover, he could only take that a few times until he said, "OK, we're going out for sushi." The first time we let him order a variety of styles of sushi and sashimi for us so we could decide whether we liked it or not. And guess what? We LOVE sushi! It's fresh-tasting, and surprisingly filling.

Anyway, to get back to the arugula... I'm hoping the wasabi arugula lives up to its name. A peppery bite would add another layer of flavor to a summer salad. I'll let you know how it turns out. Now if I can only convince myself not to plant it all at one time. (It never seems like very much when you sprinkle those tiny seeds in that seed furrow, but when it begins to produce, I am buried in greens.) A little arugula goes a long way.

No comments: