Monday, September 21, 2009

Jan's Corn Muffins


The cornbread I usually make for the Harvestfest, while good, is very labor-intensive. So I'm determined to find an alternative that I can add/substitute next year to make the Saturday before the Harvestfest a little less stressful. I liked these, but they probably won't be a general favorite. (I like breads with a little more complexity to them than the typical white-bread lover does.) They are from The Dairy Hollow House Cookbook, by Crescent Dragonwagon.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Blend:


  • 1 egg

  • 1/4 cup honey

  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)

Combine



  • 1 cup buttermilk

  • 1 Tbsp cider vinegar

Pour the buttermilk/vinegar mixture into the egg/honey/oil mixture.


Mix



  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1Tbsp baking powder

  • 1 cup cornmeal

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour

Add dry ingredients to moist ones, stir just enough to combine. Fill 12 Pam-ed muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 25 minutes.




No comments: