Saturday, December 12, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers Creme Brulee- A Little Late

The Early November Challenge from the Barefoot Bloggers was Ina's Creme Brulee from Barefoot In Paris. I was all ready for making it last month, right on schedule, then I found out that my torch (to caramelize the topping) didn't come with any butane. So out we went on a search for butane, finally finding it at a kitchen shop outlet store miles from our house. Then Thanksgiving came, and with it all the cooking craziness, and it got pushed back again.




Today I finally made it. It was a success from the get-go, easy and as good, if not better, than any I've had in any restaurant. You can find the recipe here. Buy the torch (and some butane) and have at it! It is really a great special dessert for a nice dinner, and not that hard. Just leave some time for the cooling and chilling.

It's not a low calorie dessert, though. I figure it at about 900 calories a portion! So save it for a special occasion, or enjoy it on an otherwise low-calorie day.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi! I found your blog through the daring bakers forums and just thought I'd let you know that butane can be easily bought at drugstore chains like Rite Aid and the like, as it's used to fill lighters.
Your creme brulee looks tasty!

Eva said...

I was too lazy to buy a torch so I used the broiler. Doesn't work quite as well as the torch because the custard ends up getting heated up quite a bit but oh well.

Lynn said...

Thanks to both of you! I've tried the broiler method, too, and the results were not as good. As you say, the pudding gets warm, too.